27 February 2008

Puzzling Gnosis

Good afternoon, O most noble friends. On this afternoon I wish to speak of newspaper puzzles. For a long time I have been aware that the newspapers contain puzzles, especially crossword puzzles, but such things did not interest me. As a small child I was not so clever as to be able to solve the crossword clues, especially those about strange topics like sport, cinema, and popular music. Incidentally, I still cannot answer those clues (except "Omar Sharif," who is in so very many crosswords), but now I can answer at least several other varieties of clues. For a good many weeks now, I have been periodically obtaining the newspaper's puzzles and attempting to solve them. Obviously, this all started with the crosswords, and then it expanded around them when those hit a dead end, as they invariably, consistently, and redundantly do. I absolutely refuse to look up answers or ask for help, you see, and I have yet to actually finish one. Next to the crossword, though (having failed to finish it), I first found the cryptogram, and I attempted to solve it. In short, I failed, and I have continued to fail ever since. All the same, I keep on attempting them, failing each time. Most recently, however, I encountered Sudoku, which I have been witnessing respectable people working for a couple of years now, I myself making no effort to understand these matters. For many weeks I ignored its presence by the crossword, but being entirely disinterested in the remaining clues, I decided to look over to the Sudoku puzzle, which my brother had begun with minimal (about three squares worth of) progress. Thus I resolved to display my puzzle-solving superiority by solving the grid in its entirety, having never touched such a thing before. It did not work out so nicely, but now I know how to solve a Sudoku puzzle, and it shall join the crossword in my puzzle-working ritual. Likely I shall shun the cryptogram because, unlike Poe, I hate it. If I managed to solve one, it would be another matter entirely, but as it stands I have not. Last of all, the other puzzles appear insipid, and I shall pay them no heed, so now I have a complete newspaper puzzle ritual: gleefully attempting both Crosswords, profoundly pondering the perplexities of Sudoku, and raging against the Cryptogram. Where would we be without ritual, after all? I answer, deader than gnosticism, except Mandeanism which has ritual.

2 comments:

maria said...

I love sudoku! The nice thing is you really don't have to start with the easy ones, since it's such a simple concept.

Thorvald Erikson said...

As it turns out, the Sudoku puzzle I have been working intermittently since Sunday afternoon (when these things mostly took place) is of the difficult variety. It seemed so friendly, but then it demanded more sincere puzzling than at first, alas by that time, like the gentle bear trap (a trap for gentle bears, I mean), it took hold.

Also, I just solved the miserable cryptogram that I have had since Sunday. I suppose I like them now. Thus it has become another matter entirely.