17 June 2008

The Grove of Glasir

There brightly burn beneath the sunshine seas
eternal autumn waves o'er blue-grey springs
whence whistles Wind itself through tops of trees;
whence on his throne the King of Songbirds sings.
The fondest fancies of the gods there dream,
and only lore immortal may recall
that antique garden and the golden gleam
for thence through leaves does light reflected fall
o'er the emerald ivy, hedge, and vine;
o'er aged agate pathways unbeheld
ere again together walk we sanguine,
for by the fairest weeping are we knelled
in twain through shadows as the truth unfolds
among the Grove of Glasir's greens and golds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me comment briefly. I have been meaning to post those words for about three weeks, but I had trouble finishing it. In my recent silence, I kept thinking I would post this any day, but I never did. Then again, I also weighed the question of whether or not I should post it at all. I still weigh the question, but I am going to go ahead anyway. That being said, I got the idea for this in April, at which time I was reading the Prose Edda. In addition to being one of our main sources for Norse mythology, it contains a poetical treatise from which I took a heavy influence in choosing my symbols and allusions, which are plenty, for I wanted to make it extremely difficult to discern what I am saying. I could provide other useful sources to promote understanding, but I will not because probably no one really cares, and I do not want to be at all obvious. Lastly, I realize that I am a one trick pony when it comes to this stuff, but I am still quite pleased with how this turned out. Until next time, my friends, I wish you well.

4 comments:

maria said...

Now I'm curious, and I want to find the hidden meaning.

Thorvald Erikson said...

So you care. Hooray!
The Prose Edda: Skaldskaparmal.
Encyclopedia: Platonic Forms.
Plato's Myth of the Cave.
Consider every mention of color.
Consider the colors of the things I mention.
Human form.
What is meant by the fondest fancies of the gods?
What is meant by lore immortal?
Symbolic implications of light.
The significance of leaves.
What is this gold?
The significance of emerald.
The significance of agate.
We (being sanguine while walking together) walk together?
Or we sanguine ones (who keep on being sanguine)walk together?
Full meaning of sanguine.
Who weeps most fairly?
Implications of the word "fairest."
Possible interpretations of "in twain."
Significance of shadows (especially to Plato).
The truth about what?
Zodiacal associations of several things.
The ever-present thoughts that occupy me.
How do all these things relate to one another?
Symbolic meaning of the Grove of Glasir (this being the ultimate answer).

That should do nicely.

There are two distinct meanings that I specifically intended. There are three if the imagistic barrage is counted.

maria said...

I started typing something, and then decided not to, but then I saw that the word verification was perfectly matched in terms of font, format, color, and letters, and I couldn't miss the opportunity to use it.

In summary, you can ignore this comment. I am still working on the riddle in bits and pieces.

Thorvald Erikson said...

May it be known that Skaldskaparmal is available freely on the internet, along with the rest of the Prose Edda. Skaldskaparmal is the only part that pertains to this, though. It is not very long, it is essential here, and it is interesting regardless.

I am glad you got such a wonderful word verification.