23 June 2008

Midsummer's Day

My friends, I know what you are wondering. You wonder, "Why did my dear beloved friend not mention the Solstice upon its coming and going?" I tell you: the Solstice is not truly observed until Midsummer's Day, which is on 23 June, which was today. Some among you may argue, "But the Sun himself has appointed daylight to reach its zenith on the Solstice, which was 20 June!" I say to them: who is greater: the inanimate Sun or the faeries that always come out at this time of year, who are in truth the old gods? Though it is true that on this day the sun and the fruit of the land have had their triumph, but only by the victory of the gods of light has this taken place. (Super)naturally, not least among these faeries is the leprechaun, or Lughchromain, who is none other than the sun god himself. It is for his sake that we light bonfires, burning alive therein small woodland critters, then leaping through the smoke ourselves. This is necessary in a world that frowns upon the degree of sacrifice the gods demand. Without sufficient sacrifice, what do we get but absurd faeries? Let me warn you, my friends, at the last: faeries are a serious business. Keep an eye out for them, especially in dreams, but do not trust them in the least.

I hope you have enjoyed this installment of my Pagan calender. Our next installment I do not think will come until Samhain.

1 comment:

maria said...

Be sure to keep the animal sacrifice a secret. You don't want to end attacked by the same noble powers that now rage war against KFC.