22 September 2008

The Autumnal Equinox

Did you balance an egg, my friends? It is said among the sages that one can balance an egg on the Autumnal Equinox, and this is true; however, what is often neglected is the fact that one can just as easily balance an egg on any other day of the year. It is still a proud tradition, though, one to be acknowledged most fully.

Let me tell you now of my Equinox, as I believe it will make me feel better, 'cause the Man's got me down. On this Equinox, I was informed that my plans to fulfill the Conservatory's ensemble requirement are unacceptable, and this is the case on an entirely irrational basis. What am I to expect, though? Musicians are trained in music, not in rational thought, something that they predictably almost never exhibit. Thus they tell me that the only musical ensemble I can possibly join is an idiot choral group that meets at an idiotic time of day; however, investigation has yielded the knowledge that all the musical ensembles (excepting the one I had planned) meet far too frequently and at idiotic times of day. Curse you, the Man!

That is not the only thing the Man tells me on this Equinox. The Man also tells me that I am not allowed to pursue my studies with the vigor I would like. Instead they say that I proceed slowly according to the Code. I say, the Code is more like a guideline, and if I want to pursue my studies with exceptional vigor, any reasonable scholar ought to heed my most beautiful argument and let me learn. Unfortunately, we are not dealing with reasonable scholars that will understand the most beautiful (hence, true) argument. We are dealing with musicians, which can only follow the Code or be swayed by intense emotional experience. I think I will respond in my standard infuriated form saying, I will not take any of these futile courses; I shall study them independently. They are music history courses, so I am fairly certain I can do this. Such was my reaction when the previous Academy (that is, its music department) told me things I did not want to hear, not heeding the most beautiful argument. This is why Wednesday morning will be the first formal Music Theory course that I have ever taken.

EDIT: This is small because it is no longer true.
On the bright side of the Equinox, I have solved the problem of language, for I wish to take a language, but irreconcilable scheduling conflicts have prevented my continuing with Greek at the present juncture. Thus I have found that Hebrew fits very neatly into my morning, and so it shall be. There are two ways to take this course: the intense way and the half-as-intense way. The intense way meets every day and covers everything in one year. The half-as-intense way does the same in twice the time, but it is currently at its midpoint, so I must take Hebrew intensely.

Now, besides egg balancing, how should the Equinox have been celebrated? Why, by harvesting of course! Last Tuesday night, I witnessed a very lovely, orange harvest moon, and that day I ate of delicious tomatoes that had been harvested from my grandparents' garden. Thus the Equinox and the surrounding season is for harvesting and feasting on the harvested crop, in addition to the mandatory bonfires that any self-respecting person must build, lest the sacrifices be impossible. Happy Autumnal Equinox, but remember, the really big day is not until Samhain!

No comments: