18 September 2008

Velocipedes and Dirigibles (For the Children)

Here it is! Here it is! It is a story that I made for the children and for the children of heart and for Sean McHone, complete with illustrations, soon to be complete with musical accompaniment! Admittedly, some of the illustrations (such as that of the elephant or of the silver hat box) probably tempt the true Artist to berate me severely, but that is just fine. The true Calligrapher probably feels the same way, but I do not care! The pseudo-calligraphy is only for effect and hopefully for increased readability. My usual handwriting can be rather difficult, especially when I choose to write the first letter of a word, draw a line, then represent the appearance of the likeness of the last letter of that same word. I do hope that you, one of two-or-three regular readers, who are both a true Artist and a true Calligrapher, find my attempts at both these Arts acceptable. Also, I encourage the posting of the Proclamation Concerning Hats hither even unto yon.

Let me now explain that ideally this text is to be read aloud, preferably by an Englishman like Ringo Starr, and the musical accompaniment is to be inserted according to the musical directions. I can be vague, I have not even started writing the music. In the course of this reading, the pictures are to be shown to the children, all of whom will well with delight. Now I just need to find some children, for currently I have almost exclusively children of heart. Hurrah for children!

Now, ye children of heart, enjoy the fruit of my thoughts:
















5 comments:

maria said...

I very much enjoyed your story. I will not berate you for your art nor for your calligraphy. I find them both acceptable.

Tomorrow, I can have real children(my sisters) read it. Amanda will be especially excited to read a story by you. Today she told my mom that she wished it was a Saturday because she misses you already.

Thorvald Erikson said...

I'm so happy I can hardly think!

Also, I meant to acknowledge the heavy influence of Tolkien and Satie, but as C.S. Lewis says in Mere Christianity, "No man who bothers about originality will ever be original."

maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
maria said...

Allison and Heather have read it. They both liked it. Heather described it as interesting and Allison described it as amusing. They both commented on the orphan's tear in the milk. Allison said it was funny but horrible, and I don't remember what Heather said.

I forgot to mention this before, but I love the characters' names.

Thorvald Erikson said...

Hurrah!

I debated the orphan's tear, deciding at last that it was significantly bizarre so as not to be too horrible.

Thank you very much. I put considerable thought into naming these people.