27 October 2008

Better Living through Behaviorism

Let's jive.

Stimulus: Good evening.
Response: It is a good evening, isn't it?

Now it is plain that this Response is, in fact, reciprocating a stimulus right back. I hereby illustrate this, color coding each speaker.

Stimulus: It is a good evening, isn't it?
Response: Yes, it is a good evening, and it was a beautiful day, also.

Stimulus: Yes, it is a good evening, and it was a beautiful day, also.
Response: It was a good day, wasn't it?

Stimulus: It was a good day, wasn't it?
Response: Indeed, and how good do you suppose it was?

Stimulus: Indeed, and how good do you suppose it was?
Response: Well, it exhibited cool and pleasant temperatures, and a grey, overcast sky.

Stimulus: Well, it exhibited cool and pleasant temperatures, and a grey, overcast sky.
Response: So what does this indicate about its goodness?

Stimulus: So what does this indicate about its goodness?
Response: Nothing but that the day was stimulated to behave as it did.

Stimulus: Nothing but that the day was stimulated to behave as it did.
Response: Then why do you say the day was good?

Stimulus: Then why do you say the day was good?
Response: You stimulated me to say it.

Stimulus: You stimulated me to say it.
Response: I think I understand.

Stimulus: I think I understand.
Response: I do not see that you "understand."

Stimulus: I do not see that you "understand."
Response: How would you see that I understand?

Stimulus: How would you see that I understand?
Response: You would behave accordingly.

Stimulus: You would behave accordingly.
Response: How would I, understanding, behave?

Stimulus: How would I, understanding behave?
Response: Do not "trouble" me with absurd questions about inner states.

Stimulus: Do not "trouble" me with absurd questions about inner states.
Response: I do not understand.

Stimulus: I do not understand.
Response: Exactly.

------------

Now behave.

3 comments:

maria said...

We're on the behaviorism unit in my psychology class. I wasn't excited about the class to begin with, and reducing lives to conditioned responses to stimuli isn't improving my opinion.

Thorvald Erikson said...

Response:
I am inclined to think that psychology is generally nothing more than bad philosophy. Behaviorism, then, is bad philosophy based on evil philosophy: Benthamite utilitarianism.

Have fun with psychology, though, and perhaps be happy that I have just finished with behaviorism (for now.

maria said...

I'm glad you're temporarily done with behaviorism. I hope it doesn't pop back up too frequently.