23 August 2007

Effective Participation

The political theorist Dahl says that effective participation is absolutely necessary for the existence of a functional democratic order. This, though leads to the question of whether or not participation ought to be mandatory or willful, and it also begs the question of which is more effective. This is not a question for my world, though. In my world (this one, the one you are currently visiting, O reader), I am sovereign, and this tends to work well; however, my sovereignty often inclines me to call for praise from my loyal subjects. This also allows me to see who exactly my disloyal subjects are, so that I might remove one of their vital organs and take it for myself. One can never have too many organs, as I often say, particularly spleens. I have already explained why this is the case.

At any rate, I am calling upon my readership to effectively participate in the operation of my world, if my readership so desires. You see, whether or not you participate, I profit. If you do, I get a nice comment. If you do not, I get a new vital organ. Sometimes I wonder, as the philosopher Nietzsche put it, why I am so wise.

Now, you must be wondering, how can you effectively participate in my world and maintain the proper function of your innards? Well, all you have to do is answer me a simple question:

If I asked you to dance the Gymnopédie, would you dance it for me?

There is, in fact, a correct answer to this question. Incorrectness will not cost you a vital organ, it will only compel me to spit in your direction the next time I sense your presence.

Well wishes to one and all, especially to me!

2 comments:

maria said...

I guess we'd better watch it then, considering that you've been known to critically spit in people's eyes.

I don't think I'd dance the Gymnopedie.

Thorvald Erikson said...

And that is the right answer.