20 March 2008

Sailing on the good ship House

"My boat sails stormy seas,
battles oceans filled with tears.
At last my port's in view,
now that I've discovered you."

-The Moody Blues

What a fine night it is my friends! On this night we celebrate the Vernal Equinox, up at the old stone circle in the woods. Yes, there have been many seasonal adventures lately, and I would like to share a selection of mine.

Let us begin on 7 March. You may notice that I make a habit of posting photographs of snow, and this last snowfall is no exception.















Of course, this begs the consideration, what happens when all that snow melts, thereby saturating the ground immediately before a great rainfall?

I answer; something like this happens:















Ordinarily, that is my front yard, but not on 19 March. Notice the tops of trees, which are now the bottoms of trees. It was a grand day for tree-climbing (with swimming), but I was never good at either of those things.

It was not, however, a grand day for mail, for here is the household mailbox around noontime, shortly after it reappeared from beneath the waves:















The mailbox shifted by a considerable angle during the course of the day, by the way.

Here is one of my favorites. These are ducks. (m r ducks.)















I am very fond of ducks, I am always happy to see them, and I always have been. My friends might like to know that "duck" was the first coherent utterance I am known to have made.

Later in the day, as the waters subsided, the fun was not yet over, for the air grew cold.
















Yes, that is snow.

Naturally, you must be wondering what residue this all left behind. Well, here you have it:















That is the neighbor's mailbox in the front, with a couple of neighbors' flooded yards visible off into the distance.

Now, I looked for a while this afternoon for a fish in a puddle or in some other such strange place, but I did not find one. There were a couple of dead ones in the street this morning, but I did not witness those myself, and they were eaten away by birds by the time the camera and I went on our adventure. I shall search again tomorrow, possibly with a net and rubber boots.

This has been a selection from the full collection, except the first one of the snow. My mother, not I, took that one. I hope this has been a pleasant exhibition. Until next time, I wish you well.

2 comments:

maria said...

I had intended to post about the coming of springtime, but it looks like you beat me to it. I'll probably write about it anyway.

Fortunately Finneytown is on a hill, so we didn't get flooded. However, there's a lake along Winton Rd. in Greenhills that was built to contain run-off from the surrounding area, and it was about 40 feet deeper than normal (either that or 40 feet deep, which would make more sense, but my mom wasn't making much sense) due to all the rain and snow from a couple miles around. My sister took some neat pictures of it. I took several pictures of the snow, but I seem to have misplaced the family camera that I took them with.

Thorvald Erikson said...

I saw the lake on the news, and I said aloud, "I know that place."