01 November 2007

The avant-garde will never let us down!

You may recall yesterday that I was not looking forward to hearing the percussion ensemble perform this evening. I believe that I was right to expect irritating noise, but that does not change the fact that I was wrong. You see, they deceived us, for as it turns out, the program consisted of a number of avant-garde pieces from the past couple of decades. Furthermore, the composer of three of these works was in the audience. For interested parties, his name is Philip Parker. Thus rather than hearing sounds akin to that of primitive men beating on animal hides, I received somewhat odd, often minimalistic works, all of which saved the program from the primitive warriors and spearmen waiting with their war-drums outside the auditorium in the cold and the darkness where there is much weeping and gnashing of teeth. That is biblical. Anyway, it is a well known fact that primitives despise the avant-garde, so they were driven back to the forests where the baboons live. It is also fairly common knowledge that the avant-garde makes children cry, and this was no exception, for the poor child, brought to this concert by her foolish parents who should have known better, wept bitterly. Do not fear, though, the child was brought outside, and she was greatly amused by the primitives and their war-drums, and so peace returned to the concert once more.

But let me tell you, I was accused of wearing a costume again, and then later a rabid and raving pack of males made fun of me, but it was not fun at all. The dominant culture, which is not a culture at all, has proved its poverty once more. It is all right, though. I turn both cheeks at them all!

No comments: