18 January 2009

Climbing the Symptom Tree

My friends, my loyal laptop computer has been broken since Friday afternoon. This is not a happy thing for two reasons. First, I am dependent on my computer to do important things like completing schoolwork and remaining in contact with the outside world. Second, I now have to fix it. This means that what time I might have had to do interesting things is now spent fiddling with a machine. I began this task on Friday, attempting likely fixes, culminating in a system restore. When that did not work, I discovered how to run diagnostic tests to look for trouble. This is done by climbing the Symptom Tree, and thus I have been leaping from branch to branch, like unto the squirrel or the lumberjack, visiting all the little critters of nature and asking them if anything is wrong. So far this has turned up only one issue with the video memory. I am hoping that this is all that is wrong, as this would make repairing the device much easier. Furthermore, this particular problem fits all the symptoms faultlessly. I do not know what to do about it, but I hope to find out today. Currently I am using the family desktop at home.

Incidentally, there have been several inconvenient irritations that have plagued my presence of late. On Friday morning, a small water leak did some damage to my home in the lush river valley. As far as leaks go, it was not bad at all, but that does not make it fine or beautiful. For Friday afternoon, I have mentioned my computer already. For Saturday, our excellent friend Ben lost his wallet to a thief. I still consider this weekend, especially Saturday, to have been fine and beautiful, containing many events that I am glad took place, but I would prefer that these certain things had not happened, and I hope for no further nonsense.

No comments: