12 January 2009

What I do and why I do it

It has occurred to me that I have not related to anyone the incredible resolution of much of the angst I expressed a week ago. At that time and with great fervor, I spent much time looking though class after class, considering three criteria in this order:

1. Does it help me graduate?
2. When is it?
3. Is it pleasant?

I knew of some courses that I needed desperately. For one, there yet remained an introductory philosophy course, namely epistemology, that I needed as a prerequisite for some higher level courses. This had been full since I sought after it in November, but I continued to check for the remote possibility of an opening. It was my full intent to attempt to join the class by an add slip, which likely would have been rejected, but on Monday night not only did one seat open up, but against all probability I was watching when it did. This was the single most significant obstacle in my schedule, resolved perfectly. This course fulfilled all three of my criteria with excellence. I could scarcely believe such fortune.

Later, other surprises awaited me. For hours at that point, I had been running search after search through the list of helpful courses over and over again, hoping to find one that was both open and not at some ludicrous time, such as 8:00 am on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I found some with conflicts and some with undesirable times, but I found no unpleasant course at a pleasant time. My criteria were not being allowed consideration in the proper order, until I just happened to look at the listing for the absurd but required English 289 for about the third or fourth time. Forgive me if I did not keep an exact count. The one section that was at the best possible time just happened to have a single opening, and I just happened to see it. I was happy. This was the second ideal solution to what had beforehand appeared to be an unsolvable problem.

I was then ready for Tuesday, with time to finalize one more course on Monday or Wednesday. All this time, I was aware of my preferred solution, Ethics, which meets on Monday from 6:30 pm to 9:10 pm. This, too, had been full since November, and I had little hope of enrolling in the course. I still kept a fool's hope for it, though, and this compelled me to check its availability whenever I was searching. On Tuesday afternoon, I was released from a class early, since it was the first day. I proceeded to my computer, from which I decided I would fiddle with scheduling until I had someplace else to be. I looked at Ethics, and one seat had opened up. I took it as fast as my keystrokes would allow. Later that day, I would discover also the possibility of taking online courses, and this would complete my schedule. Quite delightfully, one seat happened to be open in a section of the Introduction to Sociology, which seems like the least unpleasant option in the social and behavioral sciences. All was resolved. Everything I had wanted at the start and more had been given to me.

As a Christian, I often wonder about God's involvement with this world. Having been in the church all my life, and having been somewhat stupider than I am now (I hope), I have covered the spectrum of beliefs on this issue pretty thoroughly. I have believed that the Deity is deeply concerned about the color of my socks and is intimately involved with these socks at every point up to and following my wearing them at the appointed time. Had I been truly holy, some clairvoyant sense would have told me which socks to choose each morning, in addition to everything else I ought to do. (Yes, I actually believed this, and the longer I believed it, the more hostile I became because of it.) I have also believed that the Most High, apart from morally relevant issues, does not care a whit what we do and does not become involved directly with us. This seemed very liberating, but really it turned out to be a very bleak and lonely way of living. This so diminishes the role of the Holy Spirit especially that such a view is really unacceptable. Worst of all, one can never ask anything of God when one believes that nothing will come of the petition. These, of course, are both extreme positions, and thankfully they are both false.

That was not a digression, though I think it may appear like one. For I thank the Master for this blessing. It is very humbling to wonder, who am I to be given any gift? Better yet, what am I? I admit, I tend to be highly suspicious when anyone makes a claim specific divine intervention. I am even suspicious of myself as I think I have a specific cause to thank the Almighty. It is then that it must be remembered, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows" (James 1:17). Therefore who am I to be suspicious? Who am I not to offer praise for good things? Regardless of the precise nature of God's involvement, I cannot very well deny it. (On a side note, the middle knowledge promulgated by the likes of Dr. Craig strikes me as providing the best account of such things.)

At any rate, when I started I wanted to present the final form of my schedule for this quarter:
Monday
6:30 pm to 9:10 pm, Ethics
Tuesday
9:30 am to 10:45 am, Symbolic Logic II
11:00 am to 12:15 pm, Introduction to Ethics
12:30 pm to 1:45 pm, English 289
2:00 pm to 3:15 pm, Introduction to Epistemology
3:30 pm to 5:50 pm, Philosophy of Science
Wednesday
Nothing. (Except homework and sociology)
Thursday
9:30 am to 10:45 am, Symbolic Logic II
11:00 am to 12:15 pm, Introduction to Ethics
12:30 pm to 1:45 pm, English 289
2:00 pm to 3:15 pm, Introduction to Epistemology
Friday
Nothing. (Except homework and sociology)

1 comment:

maria said...

I'm glad it all worked out. I had wondered if your attendance on Wednesday nights was going to become a regular thing, and I suppose this means it will.

Yeah I also feel weird about attributing things to divine intervention, even though I know God ultimately causes everything good.