30 January 2009

Snow Week: A Pictographical Chronicle

Good evening, excellent good friends. Today I wish to share with you all a small selection of the numerous photographs I took of the river valley on Wednesday morning. Now, you might wonder what I was doing in the river valley on a Wednesday, rather than working on various selections of nonsense at the Academy, as I usually do on Wednesdays before visiting the church at Northern Hills.

Well, as you recall, I recently climbed the symptom tree to discover what is wrong with my former computer. It was a defective graphics processing unit, which the technical support people insisted on solving with a system exchange. After investigating alternative solutions, none of which bore fruit, I was inclined to acquiesce to their request, and I accepted this exchange, which would arrive within two weeks. It did arrive in the river valley on Tuesday, and I decided that I should like to go there and obtain it, which I did. As it turned out, this was a slightly insane decision, as the roads were not at all safe on Tuesday afternoon, even before the bulk of the snowstorm had begun. Regardless, I survived the trip intact, though it took me about fifteen minutes longer than usual, and I not only got to see the splendor of the river valley, but I also was able to use a computer of my very own again. To make matters better, the new system was in several ways upgraded from the old one, and by regulation in no way worse, not to mention new. So now, without the cost of a single penny, I have a newer, better computer!

Thus I was in the river valley, whence I planned to depart for Northern Hills and thence school on Wednesday. Of course, this did not take place because of the glorious snow. I was disappointed, even more so when the Thursday events were canceled, but I suspect the snow might have been worth it. Here now are five of the many photographs I mentioned, but in person I would love to share them all with any interested fellows. Enlarge them with a mere click of the mouse.


Here is the frozen river, which I felt needed to be shown. This is the most extreme freezing it has seen in years, and it has been even longer since its icy shroud has been blessed with a copious covering of snow.





When the sun came out, I did my best to capture the rays of light upon the icy trees. This one, however, has its excellence in the clouds. It does well in capturing the unique color of the wintery sky.









Here I am standing under a frozen and bent birch tree. I thought it the effect would be just neato. I think I was right.







This photograph captures two essential points that I wanted to make. First, it gives us a view over a distance. Second, it provides a close look at the icy twigs of a particularly excellent tree.






For the grand finale, I present photograph, which is certainly my favorite. The sun happened to shine in the right direction when I was standing where I was, and I took notice. Notice also, as you are whelmed by the tree and the sky, the view down snow-covered roadway.

2 comments:

maria said...

I love snow pictures! I'd be delighted to see the rest on Saturday.

The last one is also my favorite of the five. I particularly like the clouds and the tree shadows in that one.

I also took a bunch of pictures. I'm currently working on getting them uploaded onto Facebook.

Thorvald Erikson said...

Hmmm...

Facebook...

Brilliant!